NEWSReports & Articles

16-year-old shot by Israeli forces dies of wounds, another Palestinian shot and killed

Jerusalem24 – The Palestinian Ministry of Health announced this morning the death of 16-year-old Palestinian Mohammad Fadi Nouri from Beitunia, west of Ramallah.

The ministry said the teenager succumbed to critical injuries sustained nearly a month ago when he was shot by Israeli forces with live ammunition in the abdomen, during confrontations between the army and local Palestinian youth near the illegal Israeli settlement of Beit El at the northern entrance to the city of Al-Bireh.

Mohammad is the seventh Palestinian child to have died by Israeli fire in less than two weeks in the occupied West Bank.

Israeli forces have now shot and killed 112 Palestinians in the West Bank in 2022 including 30 children, in addition to 7-year-old Rayyan Suliman who died after Israeli soldiers gave pursuit to schoolchildren in the village of Taqu’ near Bethlehem on 29 September.

Shuafat attacker killed at the scene of another attack

22-year-old Oday Tamimi, the Palestinian gunman identified by the Israeli security establishment as responsible for the Shuafat attack on 8 October which killed an Israeli soldier, was shot and killed by Israeli forces last night during a second attack at another checkpoint.

Tamimi had been on the run from Israeli forces and intelligence for the past 11 days.

Israeli media and pundits are calling the failure to capture Tamimi after an 11-day military siege on Shuafat, as well as his carrying out a second shooting attack near Jerusalem, “a failure of the Israeli security system”.

Tamimi carried out a shooting attack at a checkpoint near the illegal Israeli settlement of Ma’ale Adummim, east of occupied East Jerusalem, and was shot dead by Israeli security guards. One security guard was lightly wounded.

According to Haaretz, a grenade was found on his body, and security officials estimate that he used the same gun in both shooting attacks.

Tamimi was a resident of Shuafat refugee camp in occupied East Jerusalem. After the attack on 8 October, he was seen fleeing on foot into the camp.

In an effort to apprehend Tamimi, Israeli authorities imposed a full military siege on Shuafat, Anata, and Al-Salam in occupied East Jerusalem. The 11-day-long siege enforced extreme security measures, around-the-clock raids and confrontations, as well as the continued blocking of movement and harassment of residents, leading to food and medicine shortages.

Confrontations between Palestinians and Israeli forces erupted overnight across the occupied West Bank following the killing of Tamimi.

Palestinians took to the streets in dozens of villages and cities in mourning of Tamimi, and denouncing Israeli measures of repression in the occupied West Bank including East Jerusalem.

Related Articles

Back to top button