Jerusalem24 – The Palestinian Journalist Syndicate, Sunday evening, issued a statement regarding the recent attacks against Palestinian journalists. The statement that was released listed several demands from the dismissal of the Palestinian chief of police, as well as the prosecuting of all who attacked journalists during their coverage.
Below is the text of the statement.
The Palestinian Journalists’ Syndicate has called upon all journalists, as well as Palestinian and Arab media outlets, operating in Palestine to boycott all news from the Palestinian presidency and government until its demands are met.
- The dismissal of the Palestinian chief of police due to the police’s failure to provide protection for journalists who were attacked, prevented from covering and threatened by plain-clothes officers, in front of the police force, while they were trying to cover protests and fistfights that took place this evening in the city of Ramallah.
- The Prosecuting of the assailants on journalists and bringing them to justice.
- To offer a clear apology to journalists, and pledge to respect the freedom of journalistic work and coverage, whatever the events and their nature.
- The Syndicate indicated that if these attacks on journalists continue, the syndicate will have other steps that will be announced in due course.
- The Syndicate called on the parties that take to the streets to keep the journalists out of their confrontations and not to harm them and their work, as they only cover the event and are not part of it.