Jerusalem24 – Six rockets were launched toward the occupied Golan Heights from Syria late Saturday and early Sunday, after which Israel began shelling Syria with artillery. The Israeli army also announced that it is using drones to attack the rocket launchers. No casualties were reported.
The Syrian Ministry of Defense said that its air defenses responded to a missile attack launched by Israel at dawn Sunday.
The Syrian Ministry of Defense stated in a post on its Facebook account: “At around 5:00 am today, the Israeli enemy carried out an attack from the direction of the occupied Syrian Golan, targeting some points in the southern region.”
The ministry added, ” Our air defenses intercepted the enemy’s missiles and shot down some of them.”
Escalating tension in Jerusalem
Israeli authorities announced yesterday, Saturday, they are extending the closure of the occupied West Bank which was put in place for the Passover holiday, and closing the Gaza Strip crossings until Wednesday night.
Palestinians who have permits to enter Israel to work or to pray at the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound for Ramadan will not be allowed entry during the closure.
This morning, hundreds of Israeli settlers stormed the courtyards of Al-Aqsa Mosque under strict protection from the Israeli police, on the fourth day of the Jewish “Passover”.
Palestinian worshipers remain barricaded in the Al-Aqsa Mosque to pray and ward off settler attacks, since last night.
Only 30,000 Palestinians managed to attend the Ramadan Taraweeh night prayer on Saturday, a drop from as many as 130,000 who attended previous nights this month, according to local estimates.
They Israeli forces also cleared the Old City, where Al-Aqsa Mosque is located, in preparation for the mass Israeli incursions.
In a Amir Bachbout, Walla military correspondent, said that the Israeli army is getting ready for a wide military operation.
According to Israeli media, the Iron Dome system was deployed in populated areas in Jerusalem.
A week of escalation
On Saturday, at least two rockets were fired from Syria toward Israel with one landing in the occupied Golan Heights in the country’s north, with no casualties or damage being reported.
According to Al-Mayadeen TV, a Damascus-based Palestinian group loyal to the Syrian regime claimed responsibility for launching the three missiles on Israel late on Saturday.
The report quoted Al-Quds Brigade, a militia different than the larger Palestinian Islamic Jihad’s armed wing with a similar name, as saying it fired the rockets to retaliate for the police raid on Al-Aqsa Mosque.
On Thursday, 34 rockets were launched by Palestinian groups into Israel from southern Lebanon; five of the rockets fell in Israel, and 25 were intercepted by the Iron Dome missile defense system. In response, the Israeli army attacked Hamas infrastructure and targets in southern Lebanon.
On Sunday, the head of the Lebanese caretaker government, Najib Mikati, announced that the Lebanese army’s investigations into the shelling launched from Lebanese territory revealed that non-Lebanese elements were the ones who fired the missiles, according to the Lebanese Al-Jadeed TV website.
“With the initial investigations conducted by the army, it became clear that those who fired the rockets were not organized parties, but rather non-Lebanese elements, and that it was a reaction to the Israeli aggression on the Palestinian territories and the Gaza Strip,” Mikati said.
- Around 14:31 Rockets were fired from Southern Lebanon toward northern Israel.
- Around 14:45 the Iron Dome intercepted rockets fired from Lebanon
- 15:17 The Israeli army artillery fired at unknown targets near the border in Southern Lebanon.
- 17:13 around 34 rockets were fired from southern Lebanon toward Israel, with Iron Dome intercepting 25.
- Three Israelis were injured.
- 19:10 Several shells were fired toward northern Israel
- 00:00 A statement was issued by the joint Operations Room of the Palestinian Resistance faction, “In light of the enemy’s threats to our resistance and people in Gaza, we are ready to confront and respond to any aggression on our people. The enemy must cease its barbaric aggression against Al-Aqsa Mosque and worshippers performing Itikaf, and stop the farce of exporting its internal crisis toward Palestinians.”
- 00:16 Israeli air force fired a series of airstrikes against unknown targets in the Gaza Strip.
- 00:32 Anti-aircraft missiles fired at Israeli air force warplanes striking Gaza.
- 00:50 + 01:00 Several rockets were fired from Gaza.
- 01:10 Rockets fired from Gaza.
- 01:45 Rockets fired toward Southern Israel
- 02:07 Israeli air force continues to strike unknown targets in Gaza.
- 02:40 – 4:30 Series of Israeli air forces strikes target unidentified targets in Gaza.
- 04:01 The Israeli air forces carried out a series of airstrikes against unidentified targets in Southern Lebanon.
- 05:55 One Israeli was injured in Sedrot, southern Israel.
- 06:55 Around 40 rockets were fired from Gaza toward southern Israel.
- 09:56 Israeli air forces struck a Hamas observation post east of Gaza.
- 15:05 Several mortar shells were fired from Gaza toward Kissufim’s military base at the Gaza buffer zone.
- 22:15 At least two rockets were fired from southern Syria toward northern Israel.
- 22:29 Israeli army artillery toward unknown targets in Southern Syria.
- 02:43 At least two rockets were fired from southern Syria toward Northern Israel.
- 03:05 Israeli army artillery fired toward targets in Syria.
- 05:00 Israeli air forces strike an unknown target near Damascus city.