NEWSReports & Articles

16-year-old Palestinian shot and killed by Israeli army in Nablus

Jerusalem24 – A Palestinian teenager was shot and killed by the Israeli military during an Israeli incursion near Nablus in the occupied West Bank.

16-year-old Ahmad Amjad Shehadeh was shot during confrontations that broke out last night when the army secured an Israeli settler incursion to the site of Yusuf’s Tomb.

Ahmad was hit with live ammunition in the chest that penetrated his heart and transferred to Rafidia Government Hospital in Nablus, according to the Ministry of Health, which announced his death just after midnight.

Dozens of others were injured, including three by live ammunition and one by a sound bomb hit to the head, all four of which were hospitalized at Rafidia.

Ahmad is the thirty-seventh child to be killed by Israel fire or as a result of Israeli military intervention in the occupied West Bank in 2022, the deadliest year for children in the West Bank since 2003 during the Second Intifada.

Ahmad’s death comes less than 48 hours after the Israeli military shot and killed 17-year-old Mahmoud Al-Saadi while he was walking to school in Jenin refugee camp.

Ambulance targeted

Yusuf’s Tomb is the site of frequent incursions by Israeli settlers, invariably resulting in confrontations between the Israeli military who are present to provide protection for the settlers, and local Palestinian youth and armed fighters.

Another three Palestinian teenagers, 15-year-old Mahdi Hashash, 16-year-old Ghaith Yamin and 18-year-old Waseem Khalifa, were killed this year by the Israeli military during Israeli settler invasions of Yusuf’s Tomb and ensuing confrontations.

Armed group The Lions’ Den group issued a statement last night that it was “fighting a battle” alongside new armed group Balata Brigade against Israeli forces in Nablus.

The Nablus Battalion of the Al-Quds Brigades, the military arm of the Islamic Jihad Movement, also said it had targeted the military in several areas of Nablus with “heavy fire”, claiming direct hits and casualties among the soldiers.

The Palestinian Red Crescent published photos of one of their ambulances which it says came under direct fire with live ammunition by the Israeli military in Beita south of Nablus.

Armed confrontations lasted in the vicinity of the tomb until after 2 AM.

Related Articles

Back to top button