NEWSReports & Articles

Four Palestinians shot and killed by Israeli forces in 48 hours

A 17-year-old also died of injuries while in Israeli detention.

Jerusalem24 – A total of four Palestinians were shot and killed by Israeli forces during various military raids in the occupied West Bank over the weekend as well as during a shooting attack near the illegal Israeli settlement of Beit El just north of Ramallah.

A fifth Palestinian died while in Israeli detention of injuries sustained over a month ago after carrying out a shooting attack targeting an Israeli bus transporting soldiers in the Jordan Valley.

17-year-old Mohammad Maher Al-Saeed (Gwadra) was one of two suspects arrested after six Israeli soldiers and the bus driver were injured in the shooting attack near the illegal Israeli settlement of Hamra on 4 September.

According to the Israeli military the two suspects were found nearby a burnt truck as well as a damaged weapon. The army says it believes a fire was caused by a mistakenly ignited Molotov cocktail. Mohammad died on Friday of severe burns covering 90% of his body. He had undergone surgery to amputate his left hand at the Israeli Tel Hashomer Hospital.

26-year-old Mateen Dabaya and 43-year-old Dr. Abdullah Al-Ahmad “Abu Al-Teen” were shot and killed during armed confrontations that broke out when the Israeli military raided Jenin refugee camp on Friday morning.

Abu Al-Teen, a father of three, was a doctor at the Martyr Khalil Suleiman Governmental Hospital in Jenin. The Fatah-affiliated Al-Aqsa Martyrs’ Brigades have released a video claiming him as one of their fighters, and saying he also provided medical services to the brigades. Other conflicting reports, including by the Palestinian Ministry of Health, say he was treating the injured when he was shot at the door of the hospital. Jerusalem24 is still working to ascertain whether he was engaged in armed combat when he was shot.

During the same raid, ambulance crews came under direct Israeli fire as they tried to reach the injured man, as documented in widely distributed videos on social media.

On Friday night, 23-year-old Qais Shuja’iya, from the village of Deir Jarir near Ramallah, was shot and killed by Israeli forces after carrying out a shooting attack that resulted in the injury of one Israeli settler near the illegal settlement of Beit El, north of Ramallah. Israeli forces searched the village of Deir Jarir afterwards and raided a number of houses. Another fighter who carried out the shooting attack with Shuja’iya fled the scene.

On Saturday afternoon, 30-year-old Mujahid Ahmad Daoud was shot and critically injured by Israeli fire during confrontations in Qarawat Bani Hassan near Salfit, while another four Palestinians were injured. Daoud was pronounced dead on Sunday morning.

Over the last 72 hours, a total of 19 shooting attacks were carried out by Palestinian fighters against Israeli targets – mainly military in nature – as well as six IED attacks. In addition, 85 spontaneous confrontation events between Palestinian youth or Palestinian armed fighters and Israeli forces were recorded by Moata Palestinian Information Center.

Settler attacks on the rise

Moata Palestinian Information Center also recorded 27 attacks by Israeli settlers against Palestinian persons and property over the last 72 hours.

On Thursday morning, Israeli settlers flanked by Israeli soldiers attacked Palestinian houses in Huwara south of Nablus.

CCTV footage from a local amusement park owned by a Palestinian showed dozens of masked Israeli settlers hurling rocks towards the cars and the buildings around the amusement park, including a number of homes, according to a report by Middle East Eye.

Local Palestinian residents came out to defend the area, throwing rocks and other objects back at the settlers in an attempt to push them back. The settlers had begun retreating until Israeli soldiers began assaulting the Palestinians who had come to defend the area.

Shortly afterwards, another group of armed and masked Israeli settlers launched an attack on Palestinian homes and businesses on the main road in Huwara. A total of 15 shops and businesses were damaged during the attack, according to Palestinian reports.

Hours after the attack on Thursday afternoon, settlers returned to Huwara’s main road at around 10pm and attacked more shops and homes, sparking confrontations with local youth.

Pictures of vandalized shops, including a local KFC outlet that was attacked Thursday night, were shared on social media. A security guard who was inside the outlet was injured by glass from a window broken by the settlers and hospitalized.

A fourth attack was alunched on Huwara in less than 24 hours, while worshippers gathered for Jummah prayers in the local mosque in the early hours of Friday afternoon.

A spokesperson from the town’s municipality told Middle East Eye that in addition to the material damage to homes and businesses, the settlers had burned down between 20 and 30 dunums of olive tree groves.

The settlers vandalized over 30 shops and homes since the attacks began on Thursday.

Earlier in the week on Wednesday, in the nearby village of Qusra, Israeli settlers attacked Palestinian-owned poultry farms and torched three of them, leading to the deaths of 30,000 birds. The settlers also destroyed olive trees in the area, leading to confrontations and injuries to Palestinian residents.

A shop in Huwwara after damage inflicted by Israeli settlers [Credit: MEE/Akram al-Waara]


View this post on Instagram


A post shared by Oren Ziv (@oren_ziv)


View this post on Instagram


A post shared by Oren Ziv (@oren_ziv)


View this post on Instagram


A post shared by Oren Ziv (@oren_ziv)

Related Articles

Back to top button