Jerusalem24 – Several Israelis, including members of the Knesset and religious figures, took part in a protest this morning in front of the Israeli police station in Ariel settlement in the occupied West Bank, demanding the release of the Israeli settler who stabbed Palestinian Ali Hassan Harb on Tuesday last week.
The settler’s identity has not been released.
According to Israeli news website Ynet, the participants demanded the settler’s release, claiming his innocence. A leader in the regional council of Samaria (Judea and Samaria is the Israeli name for the occupied West Bank), Yossi Dagan, claimed the settler was on a picnic with several children and that they were attacked by Palestinians in the area.
Meanwhile, Samha Rothman MK of the Religious Zionism party said he was protesting because of claims the settler was prevented from meeting with his lawyer and was being pressured by the investigation. Rothman said the case should be investigated without his arrest.
Last week, the settler in question was seen by eyewitnesses stabbing 27-year-old Ali Hassan Harb. Harb arrived at the scene after he was informed that Israeli settlers were tearing down a shack located on his family lands.
Israeli forces arrested three members of Harb’s family today at dawn, including 55-year-old Naim Harb.